Monday, February 28, 2005

2/28/05 requested introduction

Introduction??? I'm a mommy. I'm 40, pregnant again. Losing my train of thought at least 8x per day. My beautiful little daughter is Angelina, 21 months old. My soul came alive when she was born. I was a workaholic. She cured me of that. I was an obsessively career driven cop for 14 years. She cured me of that too. So I decided to retire prematurely. I hope to teach Angelina to be proud of the fact that I once wore combat boots, although these days I'm looking for slip on sneakers as I figure I wont be able to reach my feet to tie anything soon. I was a woman in a man's field. There are still only about 8% of my fellow feds who are women. I have, as you all know, an odd sense of humor. Most cops do. Odd senses of humor can easily offend. After years of writing affidavits and "just the facts, Ma'am" stuff, I've wanted to write just for fun. Angelina gives me LOTS of material. Or should I say my adaptation to mommyhood has not always been a smooth transition. Being a woman in a man's field means I dealt with a million different and conflicting expectations and judgements. It's hard to hit a moving target so I learned to stop trying and be true to myself. I hope that has prepared me to be a better Mom in what I can teach AJ and #2.

I write these Mommy moments and e-mail them primarily to AJ. If for whatever reason I didn't distribute them anymore I'd still be writing e-mails to my daughter. I just thought they were funny and would resonate with other mommies.

When I was pregnant the first time I bought a sweatshirt from Title 9 sports that says "Life Is Good" on the front. I lost that baby at 10 weeks. I was wearing the shirt yesterday at the home show and a gal asked me "Is life really good?" I stopped and said an unqualified "Yes!" I told her "I'm pregnant, due in September. I have a beautiful and sweet 21 month old. I have a husband who's wonderful, although he annoys the crap out of me sometimes, so I have a blissfully NORMAL marriage. I'm forty, I'm fat, I have wrinkles and fluctuating hormones ... I like myself (finally) and I'm absolutely loving life." That kinda says it all.

There's the introduction. Thanks for being interested. All materials herein are subject to copywrite laws, Copywrite held by Evelyn James

No comments: